Chicken Ala King South Africa
Take a bite of South Africa with this delicious Chicken Ala King, an easy-to-make dish that’s sure to make everyone at the family table smile! This classic, yet unique recipe has influences from both South African and western cultures, and features a hearty chicken stew swimming in a creamy sauce with local flavors.
– 2 tbs Olive Oil
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 200g mushrooms, chopped
– 2 red onions, diced
– 2 green peppers, chopped
– 1-2 tsp curry powder
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 500ml chicken stock
– 10 marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
– 1/2 cup frozen peas
– 1/2 cup cream
– 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
– 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the garlic, onions, mushrooms and green pepper. Cook until vegetables are softened.
3. Stir in the curry powder and flour.
4. Gradually add the chicken stock, stirring constantly.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Add the artichokes, peas and cream. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
7. Stir in the shredded chicken and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Serve hot with boiled potatoes, pasta or crusty bread.
This ultra-yum Chicken Ala King is a great way to experience a little bit of South Africa. Combining traditionally used ingredients in a creamy, spicy stew and then topping it with juicy chicken makes the perfect savory dish for any night of the week.
For an extra burst of flavor, you could add a teaspoon of freshly ground cumin. Or bring a bit of Indian flare to the mix by stirring in a handful of chopped fresh coriander. The result is sure to be a unique, tantalizing flavor experience.
This Chicken Ala King is the perfect balance between unmistakably South African flavors and the somewhat familiar flavors of western cuisine. So, the next time you’re in the mood for something a little different, give this classic recipe a try. You won’t be disappointed!