This classic Italian dish makes a perfect appetizer or can even be eaten as a meal on its own. Use the zucchini flesh for another recipe like zucchini fritters or pasta so you aren’t wasting anything. Personally I like a nice spicy Italian sausage when making this recipe but use whatever you prefer. By the way when i was at my local markets recently there I was amazed to see some zucchini that were nearly three foot long! I nearly fell over myself I had no idea they grew so big.
- 1 lb. sausage
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 cups bread cubes (sturdy, day old is best)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup parsley
- salt, pepper
- Take the casing off the sausage. Fry the sausage in a little bit of oil, breaking it up in the pan with a wooden spoon until it’s cooked through.
- Drain and remove sausage from pan. Set it aside. Saute the red pepper and onion in a couple of tablespoons of oil until softened. Drain.
- Mix the sausage, peppers and onions with the bread cubes and the rest of the ingredients until well combined. This is enough stuffing for at least four round or long zucchini.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour or until the top is well browned.Roast with small grape tomatoes, if available.
- If you have extra stuffing, just place the stuffing in a small ovenproof cup that’s been greased. Bake along with the zucchini or save for another time.